- Coronavirus’s ability to mutate has been vastly underestimated. by Stephen Chen. “The most aggressive strains of Sars-CoV-2 could generate 270 times as much viral load as the least potent type. & New York may have a deadlier strain imported from Europe, compared to less deadly viruses elsewhere in the United States”
- WHO warns that few have developed antibodies to Covid-19. by Sarah Boseley. OK grain of salt time. It is the WHO.
- Multinational Meat Farms Could Be Making Us Sick. by Austin Frerick and Charlie Mitchell. Who knew?!
- This might be serious by Bill Blain. “But fear of the virus is not really the problem. Its fear of the future.”
Nafeez Ahmed on Synchronous Failure and Post-Pandemic Systems Change. Smart guys, interesting talk. Podcast available on most platforms.
Wrap things up..
I’ve managed to stumble through life with an optimistic curious contrarian mindset, shielded by a very healthy dose of scheptism. Thirty five years skating through the jungle that was small business gave me a pretty clear understanding of people and how we relate to each other in our world. Hint: not well.
I could generally lead with an open heart, but had to cultivate careful protection techniques to protect from the “frailty of humans”. Keep the guard up, but explore and be curious and give most people the benefit of the doubt until proven out. That’s me.
The average humanoid is not like this. By spending an inordinate amount of time keeping warm, safe, dry, carefully ignoring reality, and aquiring dumpsters filled with shiney shit, most adults have come to this precise spot in time, abruptly slamming into the brick wall of whats really going on. Most need saving.
Humans blessed with a single firing neuron have to see that C-19 is the BIG disruptor. ( ahem…. ok perhaps a couple). Have to see the ineptness of leadership worldwide. Have to see that programs, systems, and institutions once thought capable of carrying us from birth to casket, can’t. Have to seriously be thinking,” What next?!”
We are looking at a different world as it unfolds realtime, brutally in front of our disbelieving eyes. I for one cannot get over how every world Gooberment has misplayed this: lack of a plan, lack of PPE, and the inability to think on the fly. And the fallback? business as usual. Lets support the industries that got us here by pouring the money to their failed hopes. But they are strong donors.
For example our cherished Green Sock Wearing leader giving (GIVING?! for fucks sake GIVING!) $1.7 billion to Alberta to assist with the cleaning up of abandoned oil wells. And since you likely don’t know about this issue: Most oil companies set each well up as a separate corporation. Under their oil license they are responsible for well head cleanup and remediation upon well depletion. Guess what?! They don’t. They walk away, declare that corporation bankrupt, leaving the taxpayer to pick up the tab. Leaving the land a toxic waste site, unable to be used for anything. Currently estimates to clean up Alberta’s abandoned wells is estimated at $50 Billion. Imagine the US shale play?
- CRUDE #4 – Orphan Wells: Citizen Con. podcast by Canadaland. Its a 10 part series on the Tomfuckery by Canadas oil industry. An excellent overview of the $50 billion turd awaiting Albertans. And if Jason Kenney can do anything about it, the rest of us. Also available on other podcasts.
When I hear a leader from Alberta screetch to us about the unfairness of their relationship to the rest of Canada, Pleeeese! (you too Saskatchewan). If they had done only two things over the past 40 years they would not be in this situation. They should have forced oil companies to deal with this and invested their revenue into their Heritage Fund bullshit bafflegab nonsense for future diversification away from oil. 100 years ago they arrived, found they had great wealth buried under ground, squandered it, and now need help. (pretty much sums up all of North America, Europe, Asia, Africa). I find myself less than supportive. The world is filled with stories just like this. Every industry, every Gooberment, all with no long term plan, no understanding of risk assessment, not even a basic understanding of life on this planet. Nada. Couldn’t run a 3 item garage sale.
We all should be looking at the future. Coming out of whatever lockdown we are under, we won’t be buying things other than the basic necessities, no new debt, no bank lending, worried for jobs, kids, homes. But the majority hold out hope for a speedy return to normal once the curve has been flattened.
Not going to happen Dear Cherished Four. We can’t even deal with this tiny blip of C-19. Should have, but can’t.
The financial devastation showing up will place us all in a very vulnerable spot. As will the collapse of the oil industry, Big Ag, tourism, and aviation and a pile of others we can’t anticipate.
I’ve been having my Logorrhea moment lately. In which I’ve come to realize that I have prattled on for long enough. I have come to the end of my time here doing the Aporiacafe thing. Been at it in various forms for 10 years. If you are familiar with my physical appearance showing up at your front door you have heard it all before. A few listen.
Just had Mom Nature leave 4″ of snow as a calling card today. I remain cautious that spring will come. That means gardens to work and build, fruit trees to nurture, chicks to hatch, new pigs and sheep to figure out, a myriad of things far more positive and soul nurturing than delving into the black, putrid, bowels of why we are here and how we get out of it (Hint: greed, hubris, psychopaths, indifference).
There are new issues looming; food shortages, civil unrest, mortgage failure, bank failure, big changes. I need to deal with them unencumbered with the soul destroying task that is trying to understand it, explain it and pass it on.
The next 20 years will not be like the last 20.
A couple things to note.
- I’m looking for someone to take over Aporiacafe. No rules, do what you want. Contact me if interested. The site is paid up till Oct I believe. After that will drift off into the ether.
- I’ll be putting up a new site detailing whats happening in my attempt at a Permaculture /Restorative /Regenerative /Homesteading life. I’m going into year four, I think I have stuff of interest (to me). I’ll let all know when this goes live. Won’t be for a week or two.
Prepare for change. I’m told humans are good at adapting.
Stay Engaged, Heads up!
ps Had to end with a toon of one of the truly great shit bags in the world. Can’t help myself. Guess that means there could be a post or two before Oct.