But the complacent are not just falling for false claims being passed off as “facts” rather than what they really are–magical thinking–they’re making a much larger error known as Survivorship Bias.”~ Charles Hugh Smith
I’ve spent the past few days internalizing the CoronaVirus pandemic, recognising that I was deviating from the intent of this blog, that being to review and discuss “Details of the Emerging Mega Trends Affecting Civilization… and our Inept Response.”
This 2019 nCoV pandemic pretty much encapsulates “our inept response”. I’ve been grappling with the response part. I don’t see the need to micro-analyze each and every article and thought fart from every pundit, news organization and government speaking head. (and recognize I was doing just that).
Well in my defense, I’ll just summarize with, “Yes my hair burst into flames and I saw this as a huge event (disaster). I needed to warn everybody I cared about and the few who would stray across this, my personal scream chamber.”
I’ve talked to a number of people about this (a quick apology to all checkout cashiers, gas station attendants and misc people accosted on the street) and the result is pretty much the same as if I had said ‘What are your thoughts about this
corona virus, climate emergency, biosphere collapse, peak oil, blah blah?”
Its more than the cud chewing look of a vapid barn animal, its complete and total “other interpretation”, based upon whatever ideology they believe in: capitalism is good, political affiliation, Chinese are bad, politicians aren’t to be trusted, more people die every year from the flu, I’ve got my shit wired, etc.
So how the hell did we create a population this disconnected from reality? Most importantly why do I, snow bank straddler extraordinaire, see it so clearly? Trust me I ain’t that extraordinaire.
I think its because American culture/poison has infiltrated the world. That culture is being used as defense by other powers themselves. Mimic what you can’t defeat. All industrialized countries do it, just not so flagrantly. (but would if they could). It’s how you keep up or even get ahead.
That culture is specifically about profit at all costs. Since WW2 the US has had free hand to; cajole, bully, intimidate, lie, invade, assassinate leaders, destroy countries and generally take what they want from anywhere in the world they wish, under the guise of “protecting American interest”. And all this under the umbrella of the worlds largest PR campaign and behind the scenes arm twisting. So much so that their own people haven’t a clue about it.
Its been going on through enough generations that its become normalized for the majority of people worldwide.
That US culture has: perpetuated climate denial, continued baseless wars throughout the world, severely damaged the planet we live on, created a disparity of wealth unprecedented, destroyed our healthy food making ability, generally created a world of hate, separation and disconnect.
All to make more money.
- COVID-19 Pandemic: The Complacent Are Clueless. by Charles Hugh Smith
- Survivorship Bias. by David McRaney
- Disease modelers gaze into their computers to see the future of Covid-19, and it isn’t good. By Sharon Begley
The PR (deceit, lies, strategic bullying, outright fear mongering campaign) to end the world.
Here is a wide ranging overview of the bullshit. Basically every institution that we were supposed to have faith in, that is sposed to have our interests at heart, has its own agenda, and mostly its not you or I. Here are some posts I bookmarked recently. Only thing in common, they all lie.
- The Industrially Necessary Doctor Tedros. by Ben Hunt. “The World Health Organization is a political organization, bought and paid for by its sponsor countries (China foremost among them), with a single, dominant mandate: maintain the party line.”
- The Billion-Dollar Disinformation Campaign to Reelect the President. by the Atlantic. Frightening
- The Lies of Industry and the Liars Who Sell Them. by Ron Jacob. “as long as short term profits are considered more important than public and planetary health, there is little chance that the poisons unnecessarily present in our lives will go away.”
- How the oil industry pumped Americans full of fake news. by Grist
- Welcome to the Era of Fake Products by Wirecutter.
- These 15 Billionaires Own America’s News Media Companies. by Kate Vinton. “billionaires have long exerted influence on the news simply by owning U.S. media outlets”
- The 6 Companies That Own (Almost) All Media. by Infographics. “the major outlets are almost all owned by these six conglomerates. To be clear, “media” in this context does not refer just to news outlets — it refers to any medium that controls the distribution of information. So here, “media” includes 24-hour news stations, newspapers, publishing houses, Internet utilities, and even video game developers.”
- Understanding why they lie and why they get away with it. by the Sakir
- The Great American Bubble Machine. by Matt Taibbi. He’s been writing about this for almost 10 yrs.
- The Vampire Squid Strikes Again: The Mega Banks’ Most Devious Scam Yet by Matt Taibbi.
- The Vampire Squid Occupies Trump’s White House by Matt Taibbi.
- Corporate Philanthropy Is a Downright Lie by Jim Hightower.
- The Hunt for Fugitive Emissions in the Permian’s Oilfields. Why is this even necessary?
- JPMorgan Chase Is Under Fourth Criminal Probe after Pleading Guilty to Three Prior Felony Counts. by Pam Martens and Russ Martens. “This marks the fourth criminal probe of the bank in the past 8 years by the U.S. Department of Justice with the bank pleading guilty to three felony counts in two of the prior criminal investigations.”
- Goldman Sachs’ 20 yr RAP Sheet of Repeated Illegal Conduct. $874 Billion in Bailouts, 36 Major Legal Actions, $9.8 Billion in Fines, with Billions more Coming. 17 page downloadable PDF.
- Least we forget. SNC Lavalin.
This was a watershed moment in US politics. The game got ugly here. “On Jan. 21, 2010, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the longstanding prohibition on independent expenditures by corporations violated the First Amendment. With its decision, the court allowed corporations, including nonprofits, and labor unions to spend unlimited sums to support or oppose political candidates. The majority made the case that political spending from independent actors, even from powerful corporations, was not a corrupting influence on those in office.“
How can any reasonable person think that allowing psychopathic megalomaniacs to use their money to influence politics will end well? Do you honestly think that a fella with a few billion understands/cares about you or me? click here for a list of the highest political US donors. How is it possible a casino magnate (Sheldon Adelson) can donate $137.7 million??? Do you think he had any influence on the US/Israel debacle? That’s likely more than the entire Palestinians GDP.
Oh yeah, its going OK if you’re one of them (.01%). Us poor bunyaks, we are left with choices that amount to sewage sludge; choose between the grey steamy pile or the brown steamy pile. All parties cater to those that pay.
- More money, less transparency: A decade under Citizens United
- Citizens United (organization). Wikipedias page on the organization.
Revolving Door of Politics
This little sleight of hand allows a government official leaving office to go work for the company whose agenda he/she pushed. Dig into Monsanto for more on this. In Canada it allows the likes of Stevo Harper and Brian (take some cash) Mulroney to sit on Boards and continue their influence. In the US it allows senior Monsanto or Goldman Sachs officials to hold public office, change the rules in their companies favour and go back to those same companies.
- Revolving door (politics)
- A Look At How The Revolving Door Spins From FDA To Industry
- How Monsanto Invaded, Occupied and now CONTROLS Government Regulators
- The Amazing Revolving Door – Monsanto, FDA, EPA.
..and Now China is doing it.
- China’s expanding global influence campaigns are sparking pushback. I’m sure it didn’t get past Chinese eyes that they had to mimic numero uno to succeed.
Wrap it up….please
“If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.”~ John F. Kennedy
So here we sit. Trying to glean something from the barrage of factoids dumped on us regarding 2019 nCoV. All while them that’s in power manipulate the narrative to serve their purpose, which, sadly is not our purpose.
When what we should be doing is lifting our heads a little higher and staring the problem right in the face.
Just simply follow the dollar signs and you can see why we will never solve any Giant Turdball until we address the Cause; Its Corporate Corruption plain and simple.
And the only way to get rid of it to destroy it. And that’s hard.
“Responsibility I believe accrues through privilege. People like you and me have an unbelievable amount of privilege and therefore we have a huge amount of responsibility. We live in free societies where we are not afraid of the police; we have extraordinary wealth available to us by global standards. If you have those things, then you have the kind of responsibility that a person does not have if he or she is slaving seventy hours a week to put food on the table; a responsibility at the very least to inform yourself about power. Beyond that, it is a question of whether you believe in moral certainties or not.”~ Noam Chomsky